Old 18-11-2011, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default A bit of a ticking off!

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:17:36 GMT, Baz wrote:

We have had some intrusions in the past and have done (at a cost) some
security measures such as PrikaStrip and GuardCam. These reccommendations
were given to us from the police and we have bought the products and
installed them.

All of that has not stopped a certain indivdual from using our garden as a
shortcut to his parents house when he has had a taste of beer and heaven
knows what else.

Thinking I was within the law I put a bit of barbed wire in his way in MY
garden betweem the Prika Striped fences. There is no way in or out unless
your intentions are criminal.

He got a bit entangled, snagged his body and clothing, and I have an ASBO
for my efforts. He rang his parents and they knew or at least thought they
knew where he was.

The GuardCam worked against me in this case because I had the cheek to
protect my property.

Baz

Sorry for maybe picking the wrong point to jump in to this exchange
but only a court can issue an ASBO. Frankly, if the circumstances are
as described, no magistrates court would issue one in this case. You
might get another penalty for causing injury but NOT an ASBO.

OTOH, as any responsible citizen will know, we are not allowed to
defend our territory. An Englilsh man's home is open season to
everyone.(Here in Wales it's different) If you have a garden pond and
a child gets into your garden and drowns in it, you are responsible
because you didn't take all reasonable (which means all) steps to
prevent the child getting in in the first place. So the child climbed
over a 6 foot high wall!!!!!????? Sorry!

I'm not sure how Baz laid out his barbed wire trap. But maybe a letter
to David Cameron Esq, c/o 10 Downing Street would help. Ask Mr C (who
has gone on at length about restoring our right to defend our
property) how he would react in given situation.

But Baz. Didn't you place that barbed wire there because you were
concerned about the number of cats who were attacking the birds in
your garden and you wanted to protect the birds? Your garden is
clearly secured against all reasonable human incursions so you had no
reason to think that any human would get caught up in the barbed wire.

Cheers, Jake
Proud to be a member of the Taffy Trio
along with Dave and Bill, especially as
the East End, where I'm at, is the drier one