Old 19-11-2011, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Tahitian Squash [was; Pumpkins]

[in a thread from this past spring]
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
-snip-

BTW to the OP with a large yard look at Tahitian Squash sort of a sweet
carrot 2.5 feet long by 5 inch diameter that stores well at room
temperature.

'stores well' doesn't tell the whole story. These buggers are 10-15
pounds [or 8-30 if you believe these guys;
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...item_no=S10676
] and are supposed to store 'on the counter' after you cut a couple
pounds off.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct...od/fo-market31

Damn you Bill!! I just lost 100 sq feet of garden to a new
'experiment'.g

Haha--- 100 square feet was a bit optimistic.g OTOH- I'm
planting them again next year. Thanks Bill-

I'm in zone 5/6 so I planted 6 seeds in the basement under lights 3
weeks before planting time. 3 sprouted and were transplanted to a
hill. One survived. [I don't know if the woodchuck or something else
got the others.]

It apparently didn't like the hill site, as one night it took off and
went 10 feet east to the bean trellis. It was so entangled with the
beans by the time I noticed it I just let it be.

After climbing up and over that trellis it went to the next one. [and
pulled it down.g]

I only harvested 2 squash - but it seems to be most of what it claimed
to be. [though my squash were small] One was 7 lbs- the other about
4/5. The flavor is mild, but otherwise like a butternut. I
cut off a pound on Sept 11 -- It really does just 'heal itself up! I
cut off another pound 2 weeks later.

I just finished the big one. Cutting off a pound every couple of
weeks-- then slicing off 1/2" to clean up the 'scabbed' end worked
fine. It got a little 'sweeter' as it aged.

The second squash remained on the vine until Nov 1 or so--- I've got
a lot of other squash to eat, so we'll see how long this one keeps
before cutting it.

Jim