Old 19-11-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default A bit of a ticking off!

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
Nospam@invalid says...

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:27:13 -0000, Janet
wrote:

There is nothing unlawful about putting up a sign that says
"beware of
the dog".

A few years ago there was a case where a dog attacked someone in
a chap's back garden. He argued that the dog was normally docile
and wasn't a guard dog as such but the fact that he had a "beware
of the dog" sign on his gate (as a deterrent to intruders) was
taken as evidence that he really thought the dog might be
dangerous and he had to pay damages to the intruder. IIRC the
court nearly ordered the dog's destruction but was persuaded not
to.

Which still does not make it illegal to put up the sign.

Janet.

Just **** off then.
I have tried to please your ****ed up ego.

Baz

Baz have you ever stood back and looked at yourself and the problems
YOU seem to get surrounded with?

No?

I suggest you do then!

Kindest possible sympathies

Mike

Look here Walter,

Emery Davis wrote

Since you're liable whether you have a sign or not, I'm afraid that
doesn't hold much water, sorry David.

However not to worry if your dog bites someone! Liability insurance
is obligatory in France, and is your home insurance policy covers
anything that happens on your property.

Home insurance isn't obligatory here (unless it's mortaged) so lots of
dog owners have no public liability insurance.
Even if they do, it makes no difference to dog owners liability in law;
if a dog bites and the owner had failed to keep it under control they get
prosecuted.
A year or so back a rottweiller belonging to someone we know (hopeless
with dogs) bit a woman. She made a police complaint. A policeman came to
interview the owner at home, and very tactlessly the dog bit the
policeman. The owner got charged with failure to control a dangerous dog.
The court permanently removed the dog from its owner but he managed to
plead for its life and it went to rehab with a professional dog
psychologist (I'm not joking) where it's been happily living with his
dozen dogs with no further problems.

Janet

I suppose it's too late to suggest he starts watching "The Dog Whisperer"
!

Bill