Old 20-11-2011, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi, I'm new, and I have a question

In message , Catjane
writes

Hi all, I'm new, not just to this forum but to gardening. I've inherited
an interesting garden with the house I'm renting, and am doing my best
to get it into shape and get some veggies on the go.

My question is this: There are a lot of bulbs in the garden, some of
which I dug up and stored in June when I planted some bedding plants
which I'd brought with me from Bristol when I moved. That went fine.

I decided I'd better get my spring bulbs back in now that winter's
(supposedly) on its way, only to discover that the bulbs are sprouting!
I've also notices that those i'd left in the garden are also coming up.
My onions I'd planned to plant in February are also growing shoots.
This isn't normal, is it? What can I do? I've put the bulbs in
regardless, and planted my onions anyway, but I'm not sure if they're
going to survive? Is there anything I can do to help them keep safe til
next year?

Cheers, Cat

It depends on the type of bulb, but it's quite normal for some bulbs to
produce leaves in the autumn. I've got Allium roseum and Muscari
armeniacum coming through at the moment; the Muscari is even flowering.
I also noticed snowdrops coming through in a local meadow a few days
back.

It's also quite common to plant onion sets in the autumn.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley