Old 23-11-2011, 11:35 AM
tass539's Avatar
tass539 tass539 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
On May 17, 3:27*am, graann wrote:
I was given a bonsai tree as a present.
It lost all its leaves over the winter and at present there are still no
leaves,just small brown furry buds.
Not sure of the name of the tree.

Graham

Oh dear, this sad story happens over and over, in UK and here in North
America. Scratch the bark. If it is brown underneath, the tree is
dead. If you can, ask your friend to return it and demand a refund,
because it was sold without a label or instructions.
If there is a green layer under the bark, there is hope.
1. Get it outside, starting in the shade, gradually in full sun.
2. If there are stones glued on the soil, pry them off immediately.
3. Have you watered it? Water only when the soil is somewhat dry.
4. Once it has recognizable leaves, take a couple of pictures, one
close-up. and post to the Internet Bonsai Club. I don't have the URL
handy, but Google on it and you will get there.
Iris
Whenever I look at this book, it takes me back to the time when I started bonsai. What a magical time that was! And it always filled me with excitement whenever I sat down to savor the the contents of this book. I remember greatly admiring the trees in it, but it also made me feel that I can one day have trees of similar caliber. Using lots of european species helped to dispel the mystery and brought bonsai closer to me. Some japanese books had a mysterious and foreign aura about them that didn't inspire the confidence in me that Harry's book did. It is one of the classics of bonsai literature.

I hope that the day will come when that feeling of excitement and admiration is back again, like I had it when I was a beginner. I know that many years need to pass until that beginner's mind is back again. This book will always be there to steer me in the right direction.