Old 24-11-2011, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Dearth of feeding birds

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:33:19 +0000, Moonraker
wrote:

I have the usual choice on my bird table, assorted seed, peanuts and fat
balls, though they have been out for some time now I getting very few
birds feeding. Is this a general problem, or is there something keeping
my birds away? For the life of me I cannot see any reason.

I think all your birds are here eating me out of house and second
mortgage! Birds are like that, fickle things in a way. At this time of
year, there may be other food sources around your area - berries and
so forth. Roger in Mid Wales had a similar thing a while back but in
time the birds returned.

Or maybe you have a bit of a chill and they're somewhere warmer?

I'd say don't worry too much. Just reduce the amount of food you put
out (to reduce waste) and remember to change it regularly as old food
won't be so attractive and can harbour diseases. Maybe stick to seed
and peanuts and skip the fat balls. When they come back, increase the
amount and variety again.

I made the "mistake" of switching from an all-singing seed mix to just
sunflower hearts. The variety of birds increased as, unfortunately for
my wallet, so did the quantity! I've stopped nyger seed as well. They
seem to like the new menu a lot better. Just sunflower and peanuts.

Cheers, Jake
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.