Old 25-11-2011, 06:34 AM posted to aus.gardens
Richard Sherratt Richard Sherratt is offline

Default Dwarf Lemon Woes (Melbourne)

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 07:33:47 +1100, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 17:47:20 +1100, Richard Sherratt
wrote:

We planted a dwarf lemon about three years ago. It flowers, but not
abundently and seems to produce a few little starter fruits about 2 to
3mm in diameter, but they all drop off after a few days. If you touch
one that's sstill attached, it dropos off immediately. It's a "Lots
A' Lemons".

I have seen examples of this plant in 250mm pots with in excess of a dozen mature fruit on
each plant. So they do fruit well at a young age.

It's in in a terracotta pot with internal measurements 520mm dia by
510mm deep. The pot previously had a cumquat bush that thrived
(cumquat marmalade in big batches - yum), but I totally replaced the
old dirt with terracotta potting mix.

Was the original plant in a 200mm pot? If so, 520mm diameter is too big. I would have
put it in a 300mm pot to start.

The pot's sitting on a paved surface and might not drain particularly
well.

That is a huge problem and will lead to collar rot and the plant's demise.

Always sit pots on feet or half pavers or something. Oh, and if there aren't enough
holes, drill some more using a masonry drill bit. Don't use the hammer drill setting on
the drill itself.

It's been fed and watered according to the instructions on the tag
that came with it. It might have been over-watered for the first year
before I bought a soil moisture meter. It's had leaf miner attacks
which we handled by spraying and removing affected leaves. Some of the
leaves turn yellow.

Any thoughts?

Old leaves turn yellow and drop off. Give it some dynamic lifter.

Thanks. All suggestions noted. The pot's been put up on feet and it
seems to be looking healthier. I'm sure that's wishful thinking. It's
too soon.
--
Regards.
Richard.