Old 25-11-2011, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_9_] Sue[_9_] is offline

Default Dearth of feeding birds

"Janet" wrote
In article ,
says...

I've recently started feeding them Nyger seeds which apparently are a
favourite of finches. I've yet to see any Gold finches or Bull
finches, even Chaffinches are rare this year

We found none were interested in nyger seed on the birdtable. A
friend recommended offering it in a (small holes) hanging feeder to
imitate how goldfinches feed on thistle heads in nature. When we got
one the GF population went from zero to charms within weeks! At our
last Birdwatch count goldfinches were the second commonest bird in our
garden after house sparrows and they are nesting in the garden now.
This year they brought 15 new chicks to the feeder. They have also,
just started spending a lot of time on the peanut feeders.

My dad puts nyger seed out with one of those feeders. It took a couple
of weeks but once the goldfinches found it they did seem to keep coming
back in good numbers.

I once weeded his garden when he wasn't there and carefully went round
this patch of seedlings I didn't recognise, thinking it was some annual
flower he'd scattered, and it amused him no end to see I'd left the
volunteer nyger seedlings still growing. It hadn't occurred to me these
were underneath where the feeder was hanging from a branch. Well I was
concentrating looking down not up! They do scatter quite a bit of the
seed, or it simply blows or falls out of the feeder, tiny holes or no.
They're beautiful little birds though, so worth a little extra weeding.

--
Sue