Old 25-11-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default wood ash

On Nov 25, 1:15*pm, Baz wrote:
I recently acquired a wood burner for the workshop/garage and was hoping to
use the ash somehow in the garden. I read that small amounts can be
beneficial to the garden but in the winter months I will have lots of the
stuff as I will be spending lots of time in there with a project I'm
working on.

My question is what can I do with the ash?
I have read that it is good for tomatoes so I am assuming it is good for
potatoes, is this true? and if so do I spread it as I get it or keep it in
its dry form or compost it?

Thanks
Baz

You wont get as much ash as you think. No need to get excited,
Don't put ash down from burned tanalised timber. In days of yore it
contained arsenic and copper.