Old 26-11-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default wood ash

Janet wrote in
:

Plants get the best potash benefit if you store it dry in winter to
use
when planting out in spring. Also useful as a dry slug barrier on the
soil surface round newly planted out brassicas. Retired metal dustbins
(with lid) are ideal.
If you've got lots spare you can also sprinkle layers in the compost
heap; the alkali in ash counteracts acidity in decaying plant
material.

Janet.

Thanks,
Just have to see how much ash I get, so will store dry for now, then later
on if I get too much it will go in the compost heap.

One extra question, I have limed my brassica bed for next year already so
could I also add the ash at planting time?
Also could I get benefit in sprinkling it around my winter and spring
cabbage now?

Baz