Old 26-11-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Dearth of feeding birds

In article ,
Janet writes
We found none were interested in nyger seed on the birdtable. A friend
recommended offering it in a (small holes) hanging feeder to imitate how
goldfinches feed on thistle heads in nature. When we got one the GF
population went from zero to charms within weeks! At our last Birdwatch
count goldfinches were the second commonest bird in our garden after house
sparrows and they are nesting in the garden now. This year they brought
15 new chicks to the feeder. They have also, just started spending a lot
of time on the peanut feeders.

Janet

Ha! I bought three of the blessed things and still no blinking
goldfinches
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph