Old 26-11-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Dearth of feeding birds

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:55:00 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I've recently started feeding them Nyger seeds which apparently are a
favourite of finches. I've yet to see any Gold finches or Bull finches,
even Chaffinches are rare this year

We found none were interested in nyger seed on the birdtable. A friend
recommended offering it in a (small holes) hanging feeder to imitate how
goldfinches feed on thistle heads in nature. When we got one the GF
population went from zero to charms within weeks! At our last Birdwatch
count goldfinches were the second commonest bird in our garden after house
sparrows and they are nesting in the garden now. This year they brought
15 new chicks to the feeder. They have also, just started spending a lot
of time on the peanut feeders.

Janet

I bought a "Nyger Seed" feeder which two very small holes for the birds to
feed from. I'm still hoping for some finches to arrive.

Bill

Bill, they won't. I ditched my nyger feeders, put sunflower hearts on
the bird table, left the peanut feeders in place and added a big
hanging sunflower heart feeder in place of the (small) nyger one.

Used to have greenfinches in abundance but that was all finch wise.
Now I have the lot in even more abundance. The few coal and great tits
have also become a hoard. I have woodpeckers of various varieties.
Thrushes and blackbirds abound, feeding on the sunflower seeds thrown
on the lawn (by me). And a lot more sparrows and starlings than
previously.

Downside is that I'm going through about half a kilo of sunflower
hearts a day at £50 for 26 kilos so if anyone can point me to a
cheaper supplier I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers, Jake
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.