Old 28-11-2011, 11:06 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
"Rozites caperatus? aka Pholiota caperata, aka Cortinarius caperatus. It seems to have a veil, and looks like the one
in Roger Phillips' book.
Having seen the further photos, I would agree with you that it is probably a Cortinarius spp, but I doubt it is Rozites. R is mostly confined to Scotland in GB, is rather uncommon even there, and doesn't have scales on the cap.

From the further photos, it does now look as if it has a sticky veil when expanding, and a bulb, and it is much clearer that it has a scaly cap. The scaly cap rules out most of the options mentioned so far except Lepiota, Armillaria and Cortinarius. It has become clear it isn't Armillaria from the stipe shape including bulb. The gills look too far off-white for Lepiota, and it doesn't have a sticky veil.

So, as Sherlock says, when you have excluded everything else... Sticky veil, non-white gills, bulb, all of these are consistent with a Cortinarius of some kind. But, as I said before, there are 200+ species growing here, nearly all are uncommon and not in the consumer books, so once you are dealing with a Cortinarius it is an expert job to get a positive id to species level, unless it is one of a few more frequent ones.

Cortinarisu have a light or greyish brown spore print I think.