Old 28-11-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Pruning Fruit Trees

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:46:09 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Off to see daughter on Wednesday. Last night she calmly request that I
bring my lopers and prune her apple and pear trees! She moved in during
the summer and has had a good crop, but wants them controlled a little
bit.

Never having pruned fruit trees before, any guidance as to how to go
about it, things to avoid etc. Or shall I just follow my instincts!

For apples, have a look at
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...umn-and-spring
which'll demonstrate how to do it.

The RHS site has a page on pruning both at
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=90

This will be my first year for pruning a pear so I'll be interested in
any advice others offer. All I know is that pears are treated
differently from apples as they bear fruit nearer to the main stems so
you need to allow more stems to develop. But you'll presumably be
pruning established trees so for you the issues will be different.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, Jake
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.