Old 28-11-2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

barbie gee wrote:
store-bought tomato plants went in a bit too late in the season. Lot's of
green tomatoes left on the vines before the first frost.

beets from seed were laughable. about the size of my thumb above the
last joint. I am leaving them in the ground for the winter. Maybe
something will come of them next year?

Swiss chard from seed is only now coming into its own. Had a batch
of it last week and it was delicious. We'll see how long it keeps
growing.
Green beans (bush) from seed are still a mystery to me. I got a few
handfuls of beans, twice. Don't know if I should have done some
succession planting with that, or what.

The one planting ought to keep producing through your growing season
provided it is not a commercial variety selected for bearing (and
harvesting) in one go.

I'm mostly a hit-or-miss farmer; small square-foot plot. Not nearly
as much success as I hoped for, but again, I started everything kind
of late. Next year I'll start sooner with seed sprouting.

In general, I don't really have quite as much sun as I should, so the
veggies suffer. I've optimized the plot location for as much sun as
possible, but it's not really enough. A tree trimming may be in
order for next year, although for the size tree, it will be pricey.

Zone 5
Chicago proper

If you cannot get enough sun then concentrate on growing the leafy veges
that don't need as much sun as those that fruit such as tomatoes.

David