Old 29-11-2011, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:

i spent a fair amount of time today peeling
garlic. smells like heaven in here. have a
few hundred more cloves to go, will get them
done in the morning and figure out some recipes
to try and then make a library and store run
now that the post TG shopping rush is lightened.

I take it that you just harvested your garlic, I have just done the same as
here it grows through winter and spring. How is it that you grow yours in
summer/autumn?

it is late fall here. soon it will be snow
and ice season.

this is a moderate heat hardneck garlic i
lifted mid-summer, well past prime curing
and storage time. it has sat around in a box
in the closet gradually being used up, but
because it is not good storage quality it will
not last through the winter. so i'm peeling
it and going to be doing something with it
(including eating it as i'm peeling ).

leaving it in the ground longer changed
storage length, but the peeling is easier (the
skins split when dry, cured and aged). i had
a few heads of garlic set aside that i'd pulled
earlier (at the right time) and the comparison
is pretty interesting.

songbird