Old 29-11-2011, 06:06 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Tonkin View Post
Off to see daughter on Wednesday. Last night she calmly request that I
bring my lopers and prune her apple and pear trees! She moved in during
the summer and has had a good crop, but wants them controlled a little
bit.

Never having pruned fruit trees before, any guidance as to how to go
about it, things to avoid etc. Or shall I just follow my instincts!
I suppose it all depends on what your instincts are!

I've moved over to summer pruning with my mature apple trees on the principle that winter pruning encourages growth, and is the way to go with young trees when you want to encourage them into growth. Summer pruning has the disadvantage that the developing apples get in the way, but you do get a lot less of those long whippy growths that you need to prune away the next time.

But my trees are mature - 6 inch dia trunks - your daughter's may be a lot smaller, in which case pruning now is fine.

Start by having a close look at the trees, and see the difference between leaf buds and the short fat stubbly growths (spurs) which are where the flowers come from. Bear this in mind when you decide which twigs to cut back, and which to take out completely. For each individual twig, do nothing or do a lot - don't just nibble! But others have given you or referred you to good advice.

As to tip and spur bearers - most apples seem to be spur bearers - if you can't find spurs on one of the trees, then it may be a tip bearer so prune with caution.

Oh, and you'd be better with secateurs and a sharp pruning saw. Difficult to be sure of a clean cut with loppers.