Old 30-11-2011, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

see! you're already aboard that train.
(listening to Johnny Cash Fulsom Prison Blues,
sorry it was the first image that came to
mind ).

Calls to mind an occasional exercise I set for myself: See how many
George Jones records I can listen to before beginning to drink whisky.

i'd need whisky before...

you said something about putting two raised
beds back into production?

Yes; they now host collards, "English" peas, and mustard greens. I
have plans to move both of them when the things in them finish up.
That'll be spring, I guess. The peas are blooming; the collards are
edible size; they and the mustards could be there until February or
early March, when fall-planted stuff can be expected to bolt.

that could be a fun job.

snip

i don't quite understand the short day
onion meaning as if you are down south you
don't really have short days?

During the spring and summer months, in the Northern hemisphere,
the number of hours of daylight increases with distance from the
equator. Ever hear of "the midnight sun"? So-called "long day" onions, a
group which includes most of the flavorful "cooking" onions, don't make
bulbs this far south.

yes, i'm familiar with the fact that days get
longer in the summer. i miss them already as it
seems i just got going on projects when the day
would be getting dark already.

For green onions, I plant off-the-rack white
onions and re-plant grocery store green onions. They complete their life
cycles, they just don't make bulbs.

ok, so basically, they are the opposite of
long day for the southerners, but can they
be grown in the north too? that is what i'm
confused about, if they only would grow in
the south then i'd need a long day version
of the red creole onion or if i planted the
red creole early then would they bulb out
when the day length suited them and then stop?

we've only done the big yellow sweet onions
here so far, next year i'm adding green onions
and trying to grow some of the big yellow onions
from OP seeds.

songbird