Old 30-11-2011, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default how soon can I dig up Rhubarb?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"alan.holmes" wrote

I have some I would like to transfer to another place, but I don't know
whether it is the best time to do this!

Last winter a neighbour gave us a Rhubarb crown bare root with some soil
on it. I promptly forgot it and it was left on our allotment, I eventually
"found" it and planted it in March so it took the worst of last winters
weather laying on the surface. It's done well this year so it's tough
stuff is Rhubarb.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Well as you have all been notified so many times, I am no gardener, but a
couple or so years ago a garden was sold off as a building plot and the site
cleared. A site hut was put up ready for construction of a bungalow. I
noticed some rhubarb 'just' poking it's head above the soil. April? May?
with the permission of the builder I 'hacked it' out of the ground, 'dumped
it' into a wheelbarrow for 'her outdoors' to plant. Now whether it is
because she has green fingers and over 50 years of gardening experience or
what I don't know, but we have had some superb Rhubarb Crumbles.

With what LITTLE gardening experience I do have, I would have thought when a
plant is 'just' started to grow, it is NOT the right time to transplant,
therefore, in answer to the OP's question ...........................
anytime :-))

Go for it :-)

Mike