Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

In article . pbz,
barbie gee wrote:

store-bought tomato plants went in a bit too late in the season. Lot's of
green tomatoes left on the vines before the first frost.

beets from seed were laughable. about the size of my thumb above the last
joint. I am leaving them in the ground for the winter. Maybe something
will come of them next year?

Swiss chard from seed is only now coming into its own. Had a batch of it
last week and it was delicious. We'll see how long it keeps growing.

Green beans (bush) from seed are still a mystery to me. I got a few
handfuls of beans, twice. Don't know if I should have done some
succession planting with that, or what.

If you pick your beans between 4" to 6" in length, they will keep
setting new beans all season, providing you have sufficient sun.

I'm mostly a hit-or-miss farmer; small square-foot plot. Not nearly as
much success as I hoped for, but again, I started everything kind of late.
Next year I'll start sooner with seed sprouting.

In general, I don't really have quite as much sun as I should, so the
veggies suffer. I've optimized the plot location for as much sun as
possible, but it's not really enough. A tree trimming may be in order for
next year, although for the size tree, it will be pricey.

Zone 5
Chicago proper

How many hours of full sun? I get 5 - 6 hr, plus another hr or 2 of
broken sun. While I don't get large crops, I do get tomatoes and corn,
even with the cool summer that we had this year. I know that I'll be
planting Stupice, Brandywine, Juliet, and Blond Kopfchen tomatoes next
year. I don't know if I'll try early Girl again, I only got a few of
them.
--
- Billy

E pluribus unum