Old 01-12-2011, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:
Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

snip
you said something about putting two raised
beds back into production?

Yes; they now host collards, "English" peas, and mustard greens. I
have plans to move both of them when the things in them finish up.
That'll be spring, I guess. The peas are blooming; the collards are
edible size; they and the mustards could be there until February or
early March, when fall-planted stuff can be expected to bolt.

that could be a fun job.

Could be. I'm already trying to rationalize not digging the new
location. I know better, though, because the root tax further down the
road would be formidable.

can you get by with putting a spade down
the edge or do you have to go deeper than a
single spade length?

snip

yes, i'm familiar with the fact that days get
longer in the summer. i miss them already as it
seems i just got going on projects when the day
would be getting dark already.

No that's not what I meant. I meant that in summer on any given
date there are more hours of daylight it your north latitude than down
here.

right, because of the tilt.

For green onions, I plant off-the-rack white
onions and re-plant grocery store green onions. They complete their life
cycles, they just don't make bulbs.

ok, so basically, they are the opposite of
long day for the southerners, but can they
be grown in the north too? that is what i'm
confused about, if they only would grow in
the south then i'd need a long day version
of the red creole onion or if i planted the
red creole early then would they bulb out
when the day length suited them and then stop?

I have no clue whether short day onions work at long day latitudes.
Try it. I see the need for more reading....

haha, been reading a lot lately. finished five
books in the last week and then three yesterday
and today on top of three magazines. good to keep
me out of trouble. unfortunately the one book touted
as an organic gardening book was more like a fluff
piece hiding between two covers -- half a page on
diseases? sad.

the other gardening book was more complete
(Tauton's or Taunton's was a word in the title
-- i already took it back) and much better.

we've only done the big yellow sweet onions
here so far, next year i'm adding green onions
and trying to grow some of the big yellow onions
from OP seeds.

Most of the home garden onions in the gulf states are those big
sweet onions and so-called "Spanish" and "Bermuda" onions. Not my cup of
tea.

too wimpy?

songbird