Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Doug[_8_] Doug[_8_] is offline

Default My pond fish are avoiding me

On 14-Oct-2011, "cineman4" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message

On 9-Oct-2011, Janet wrote:

"Doug" wrote

I am new to this but is it normal? Up until now they were virtually
eating
out of my hand but now rush for cover when they see me, even at

feeding
time. I have reduced their feed to see if their behaviour is caused

by
lack of hunger but still no result. Is it the time of year perhaps
or
has
some predator frightened them?

Certainly something has/is frightening them. I trust they have

somewhere
hide at the bottom of the pond like a decent sized clay flowerpot on
it's
side?

I have a couple of the pond plant baskets standing on those black
skeleton/perforated plastic trays grocers use to display veg. The

stacked

trays are virtually invisible and the fish use them as a secure
retreat.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. I'll have to translate the figures
into metric though So I can expect to see less of the fish from now
on
and until next Spring? How will I know they are all OK? This little
hobby

is
much more complicated than I first imagined.

I have a large and heavy plant basket which partly overlays a deep
section
where they can hide underneath. Also the plants at the moment are also
providing a lot of cover and I have now temporarily included a net over

most
of the pond, mainly to keep the falling leaves out but it does offer
additional protection. The night predator which tries to damage my pond

has
not been back in the last few days.

Doug.

You should be feeding with wheatgerm food now as that is more easily
digestable.
Leave off food when fish stay at bottom. when weather warms up next year
begin little wheatgerm until the water temperature is above 15 degrees C
then back to high protein feed until about June July when breeding season
is
about over.
A little fishing wire around edge of pool raised a few inches will deter
Herons as they need to perch and wait for their prey, or use black netting
over the open part.
Regards
Gordon

I have now installed CCTV, mainly to see what has been trashing my pond but
it also allows me to view fish behaviour and check nighttime visitors such
as foxes, etc. The CCTV also has a motion detector which is quite useful.

The fish appear when they hear me coming at feeding time and, depending on
how hungry they are, they will stay in sight or not while I am feeding them.
As I move away the fish hide but reappear after I have gone. Although the
pond temperature is close to 10C it doesn't seem to have affected their
appetites yet. They seem to like wheatgerm as well as ordinary pellets but
prefer to wait until the pellets have become moist in the water before
eating them all. I only feed once a day at around 4pm, which seems to work
OK.

I have covered the pond with netting to keep the falling leaves off and
intend removing the netting when the leaves have all gone.

Doug.