Old 02-12-2011, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Urgent Info

"Chris Hogg" wrote ...

nick cameron wrote:

Please all participate. I am thinking to plant Apple trees in my garden.
Is it possible that i can grow it in a small lawn?

In principle, no problem. But what you need to do is stop the grass
growing right up to the trunk of the tree, for two reasons. First, the
grass competes with the apple tree for nourishment, and the tree will
do better if it's growing in a circle of bare earth, say 1 meter
diameter; second, if there's no grass to cut close to the base of the
tree, the bark of the tree won't get damaged when the rest of the
grass is cut.

It's also very important to get the right rootstock for the size of the
place you intend to plant. Always go smaller than you think you might need,
trees have a habit of getting bigger then the books say IME and a small tree
is easier to pick and look after. See this link to a commercial nursery I've
used which has info on rootstock. Don't be in a hurry, look around and
choose wisely (ie. not Cox's, too disease prone)

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.