Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Urgent Info

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 23:06:07 +0000, nick cameron
wrote:

Please all participate. I am thinking to plant Apple trees in my garden.
Is it possible that i can grow it in a small lawn?

In principle, no problem. But what you need to do is stop the grass
growing right up to the trunk of the tree, for two reasons. First, the
grass competes with the apple tree for nourishment, and the tree will
do better if it's growing in a circle of bare earth, say 1 meter
diameter; second, if there's no grass to cut close to the base of the
tree, the bark of the tree won't get damaged when the rest of the
grass is cut.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.

As above and I think its a very good idea, we grow a lot of apples here and
have only just finished eating straight from the tree, we started in mid
August and still have the stored apples to go, so if you have the space go
for more than one variety with a spread of seasons for ripening (but do
check which trees polinate which, it makes a big difference to the crops you
get)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs