Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Lawyer100 Lawyer100 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Have cut up some red potato eyes to plant. Looked it up on-line.
They say to mound up +- 6" of mulch after burying the eyes. I never
understood why one has to do this, rather than just let the new
potatoes grow underground.

Also, the mulch we get from the City every few months is very finely
ground. Picture shows more of a straw-like mulch. ???

Would appreciate an explanation in the next few, as the pieces set out
to callous/harden should get planted soon.

TIA

HB

According to my knowledge..

The potatoes we eat are starchy tubers that grow under ground, swelling and getting larger as the top half of the plant matures. The humble potato can be very finicky to grow, because of pest and disease problems. Potatoes are relatively inexpensive to purchase.
daniel hynes | lawye