Old 02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Lawyer100 Lawyer100 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioguy View Post
This year I tried cabbage, sweet corn, eggplant, radishes, Brussels
Sprouts and tomatoes.

Cabbage did fantastic, so I may try it again next year. (it was the
first time in my life that I can remember growing cabbage)

I planted three varieties of sweet corn, including a red variety.
Unfortunately, I planted the plants too close together. I had to cut
down about half of the plants to let more light and air penetrate. In
the end, I had about half the harvest I had expected, but it was great
to have fresh sweet corn.

Eggplant did well, but as I remembered, the taste wasn't that great.
Radishes were ok, but hotter than I hoped. Brussels Sprouts grew very
slowly at first, then took off into the fall.

The tomatoes were the greatest disappointment. I grew seeds from a
packet that said it had 20 different heirloom beefsteak varieties.
Instead, I mostly ended up with smallish 1.5" orange tomatoes. Only 1
plant out of 14 had anything that would approach beefsteak. Next year I
may just buy a couple of plants, even though they mostly have the same 8
or so varieties available everywhere.

How about your garden - how did it do?
This year i didn't try any thing for grow.
daniel hynes | lawye