Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default inchelium red garlic

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:45:53 -0500, Gary Woods
wrote:

Derald wrote:

How common is that practice? I hope that the odds that I'm growing
the same kind of garlic this year as last (same source) are favorable.

I only know of one instance, though I suspect it's pretty common. Your
best bet is to plant the best of your own crop.
Disclaimer: I'm in the Northeast, so PNW conditions are alien to me. I
have no problem storing from August to November, and most of my stored
garlic is fine well into the next spring.

I pulled my garlic about July and planted in early November. It has
sprouted and will probably disappear if we get much really cold
weather. It will reappear in the early spring. I started it a couple
of years ago with a bag of garlic from Costco. I may get some
different ones next fall and see if I can tell the difference.

The rest of mine is still mostly good. I spread it on a board in the
basement which stays fairly cool in the summer. I brought it up to
sort out for this year and put the remainder in an onion bag. I need
to take it back down to the basement. I also need to remember to save
some of the mesh bags for garlic and onions next year.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills