Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default inchelium red garlic

Derald wrote:
Gary Woods wrote:

Be aware that garlic variety names are notoriously loose; there are so many
variations, landraces, local adaptations, whatever. And "reputable"
sources have been known to rename what they already have so the collectors
among us will buy the same thing again.

How common is that practice? I hope that the odds that I'm growing
the same kind of garlic this year as last (same source) are favorable.

how often do you have a complete crop failure
for something you've grown before and know
pretty well? i think the odds are heavily in
your favor on that aspect.

an estimated 400-700 varieties, etc.
so plenty to work with for a collector.

There has been some laboratory
genetic fingerprinting done, which may help....I grow over a dozen
varieties, named by their source (mail order, local garlic fest, etc.).

I don't think I'll ever be that particular as long as it's
consistent, although, I don't discount the difficulties that result from
mis-identification and deliberate deception can only make it worse. I
don't know garlic but I know what I like.... In '10 I purchased a sample
from a source contacted he
http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/.

all i can say is that i enjoyed their
materials and hope they'll be in business
for a good long time. no actual experience
with them myself otherwise.

I got small but good-tasting results and used the same source this
year. However, they now have a Texas grower in their roster. Texas is a
shade closer to my climate than Oregon or Wisconsin. If I get decent
results and can teach myself how to store it, I want to begin replanting
my own asap; we'll see.

good luck.

songbird