Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

barbie gee wrote:

beets from seed were laughable. about the size of my thumb above the last
joint. I am leaving them in the ground for the winter. Maybe something
will come of them next year?

some might make it and then go to seed, but
more likely they'll just rot in the ground.
i'd harvest them and eat them, even if small
they are still good to eat.

Green beans (bush) from seed are still a mystery to me. I got a few
handfuls of beans, twice. Don't know if I should have done some
succession planting with that, or what.

do you recall the variety or still have
the seed package?

I'm mostly a hit-or-miss farmer; small square-foot plot. Not nearly as
much success as I hoped for, but again, I started everything kind of late.
Next year I'll start sooner with seed sprouting.

In general, I don't really have quite as much sun as I should, so the
veggies suffer. I've optimized the plot location for as much sun as
possible, but it's not really enough. A tree trimming may be in order for
next year, although for the size tree, it will be pricey.

Zone 5
Chicago proper

oh, yes, that is going to make a lot of
difference. in the meantime leafy vegetables
and other veggie plants aimed more towards
partial shade will improve things somewhat.
we don't have much shade here so i can't
recommend much other than the leafy greens
(lettuces, spinach) or rhubarb (which would
take over a small garden). some dry beans
have done ok here when they were shaded but
that's hardly worth the space in a small
garden. hmm, perhaps smaller tomato varieties,
like cherry tomatoes, and the patio varieties.

songbird