Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default daffodil Bulbs starting to appear already

gary lacey wrote:
Hi just wondered if anyone can help with some advice on bulbs. We
recently planted tulips, daffodil and bluebell bulbs and I noticed
yesterday the daffodils are starting to appear already which I guess is
due to the mild weather we have been having. What I would like to know
is what happens to them when the weather decides to start turning
colder.

Any help is appreciated

I don't know about tulips, daffs and bluebells, but my irises are always up
by mid-November - often seeming to appear overnight! - and then they sit
there and don't do anything until Feb. I think plants that flower in spring
are generally well equipped to cope with the sudden onset of cold, even when
it's a bit 'unusual'.