Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default What can we do with homebrew 'dregs'?

On 4 Dec 2011 18:11:01 GMT, wrote:

I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

Is there anything else we can do with it? (Perhaps I should have put it
under the rhubarbs when I replanted them yesterday!) I know certain
fruiting veg, such as pumpkin, are meant to appreciate being drenched in
beer during the fattening up season, but I don't fancy holding on to the
wine rubbish for /another/ year.

Suggestions, please?

At least the bacteria would die happy...

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much - unless he's working on and
industrial scale.

What I would like to know is how I can dispose of befouled cooking
oil. I am reluctant to encourage the local fauna.

JonH