Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What can we do with homebrew 'dregs'?

David Rance wrote:
I suggested Nick empty the dregs/solid remains of his winemaking onto the
compost. He was horrified and said the alcohol would kill all the bacteria.
I suppose it makes sense, although I'd expect the alcohol to have to be
stronger than wine-strength to do a major cleansing job.

No harm will come to the compost heap, I assure you.

I always pour the dregs over my vines in the belief that the yeast will
become endemic and coat the grapes the following year. I believe it to
have worked as I have sometimes fermented grapes successfully in the
past without adding any cultured yeast.

Darn, didn't catch Nick in time, he flushed it down the toilet. :-(
Although that was only "giant demijon number 1", so quite a lot to go, if he
ever gets around to it.