Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
ReelMckoi ReelMckoi is offline

Default This pond group is dead

"Doug" wrote in message

On 25-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
I would bet it's the dog. My neighbors dog would actually jump in the
ponds, knocking the rock necklace along the edge in the water and knock
over
and break the plants. He refused to put the dog up until I asked him
about
his Ins Co,.... he quickly got a chain for the dog. I was quite happy
when
they moved.

The night before last, at about 4am, I spotted on the CCTV a fox tugging
at
the netting over my pond. It looked quite strong and it also put its feet
in
the water. Foxes are now my prime suspects for pond damage. The next step
is
finding out how to prevent them from doing it. I might try a beam which
sounds an alarm when cut. I already have a proximity light which comes on
but the foxes tend to ignore it.

Doug.

A fox! Wow... could they be thirsty and just looking for water? You can try
one of those motion sprayers. Some people have success with them. Or try
using an electric fence, but that's a lot of work to set up. They keep the
pests out of my gardens. I string them about 9" above the ground and about
10" above that.... for about 6 horizontal rows.

The fish were the draw in my ponds and the hassle just got to were it wasn't
worth it anymore. Now with the fish gone, the ponds are very little work,
and the predators, snakes, raccoons etc left.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.