Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Paul Rix Paul Rix is offline
Registered User

Location: Norfolk U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony123hopki View Post
Hi

I am looking at overwintering my plots with a green manure. I tried this a couple of years ago. I found however that when it came to digging it into the soil it was very difficult, and it kept growing back.

Does anyone know of a green manure that I can just chop down and leave the foliage on the surface to decompose with no risk of it growing back. i.e. the process of chopping the foliage effectively will kill the plant and the roots will decompose in-situ and the foliage on the surface.

Thanks.
If you're in London, there is a fair chance you have got heavy clay [you're welcome to it!] It's a bit late now for this year with the green manure.
Another year try sowing either tick [field] beans, they are like a smaller broad bean or lucern. I would cut them with a mower or strimmer when about 8 inches high, let them grow again to about 6 inches, cut them again and dig them straight in.
Make sure your spade is sharp, take spits no more than 6 inches wide, and don't forget to keep an adequate trench, you shouldn't have any trouble and it will help break up that brick making stuff you have instead of soil! Good luck.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer]
[author of 'beyond the potting shed']