Old 06-12-2011, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Three sisters method.

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 05:42:31 +0100, Gordon wrote:

A friend told me about the Three Sisters growing method. Apearently It
comes from the Native Americans who would grow Corn, Beans and Squash
together. The corn stalks would provide a trellis for the beans to grow
on, and the squash would grow on the ground and provide cover to control
the weeds. Sounds intresting.

Anyone else heard of it? Anyone tried it?

I tried it a couple of years ago after a visit to Plymouth Plantation
where the Wampanoags were using it. It sounds like a good idea but it
didn't do any better than conventional techniques. However I have a pest
problem with my peas and beans which is unrelated to the planting
technique that I use. Something chews my pea plants up, don't know if its
something small like an insect or large like a rabbit or groundhog, but
I've gotten terrible pea yields the last few years.