Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Three sisters method.

On 7 Dec 2011 00:12:08 +0100, Gordon wrote:

General Schvantzkoph wrote in
:

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 05:42:31 +0100, Gordon wrote:

A friend told me about the Three Sisters growing method. Apearently
It comes from the Native Americans who would grow Corn, Beans and
Squash together. The corn stalks would provide a trellis for the
beans to grow on, and the squash would grow on the ground and provide
cover to control the weeds. Sounds intresting.

Anyone else heard of it? Anyone tried it?

I tried it a couple of years ago It sounds like a good idea but it
didn't do any better than conventional techniques.

??? Well, did the plans yeild the same compared to if they were
planted separatly?

Wouldn't the yeild of (say) 100sf of soil be higher compared to
planting separatly? For instance: 100sf of corn, 100sf of squash,
100sf of peas == 300sf of garden. VS 100sf of everything growing
together?

I've done the 3 sisters method for experimenting fun. I did baby bear
watermelons as I don't like squash and I included sunflowers. The
watermelons, sunflowers and corn did well, the beans not so much.

Kate