Old 08-12-2011, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Unknown fungi

"Granity" wrote ...

Bob Hobden Wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote -

"Granity" wrote-

echinosum; Wrote:-
On which point, don't eat it. Rozites is edible, but Cortinarius
includes some highly poisonous ones, and very few are known to be
edible. Smell and taste are not an indication of edibility - the
morituri (and a few lucky survivors) report that death caps are very
tasty.-

As I said we need a spore print to move forward as the spore colour
will
help identify the family group

-
I have the cap of one of the smaller ones on a white piece of paper in
my
garage covered with a large flowerpot. So we will so IDC.-

Just looked, the spore print is white with radial lines.

In that case it limits it to the Lepiota family unfortunately the only
ones that look like yours in my books grow in woods, the grassland ones
bear no resemblance, however if you go through the family in 'Rogers
Mushrooms | Mushroom Pictures & Mushroom Reference'
(http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/) you may recognize it having seen it in
the flesh so to speak

Had a look at Lepiota on that site and any that I think may be it say it's
got an un-mushroomy smell. This has a very pleasant mushroomy smell. the cap
was smooth, like leather not scaly and the gills were a light yellow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.