Old 08-12-2011, 01:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Doug[_9_] Doug[_9_] is offline

Default This pond group is dead

On 6-Dec-2011, "Doug" wrote:

"Doug"
wrote in message

On 25-Nov-2011, "ReelMckoi" wrote:
I would bet it's the dog. My neighbors dog would actually jump in
the
ponds, knocking the rock necklace along the edge in the water and
knock
over
and break the plants. He refused to put the dog up until I asked him
about
his Ins Co,.... he quickly got a chain for the dog. I was quite
happy
when
they moved.

The night before last, at about 4am, I spotted on the CCTV a fox
tugging

at
the netting over my pond. It looked quite strong and it also put its
feet
in
the water. Foxes are now my prime suspects for pond damage. The next
step
is
finding out how to prevent them from doing it. I might try a beam
which
sounds an alarm when cut. I already have a proximity light which comes
on
but the foxes tend to ignore it.

Doug.

A fox! Wow... could they be thirsty and just looking for water?

No it was tugging fiercely at the netting and there are gaps where it can
drink and it can drink from my other pond anyway. That also doesn't
explain
why they have dragged pots out of the pond in the past.

You can
try
one of those motion sprayers. Some people have success with them. Or try
using an electric fence, but that's a lot of work to set up. They keep
the

pests out of my gardens. I string them about 9" above the ground and
about
10" above that.... for about 6 horizontal rows.

The fish were the draw in my ponds and the hassle just got to were it
wasn't
worth it anymore. Now with the fish gone, the ponds are very little
work,
and the predators, snakes, raccoons etc left.

I think the electric fence idea could be a winner! They are also less
conspicuous. Will look into that.

Meanwhile I have been blocking off most of the routes near the pond used
by
the foxes but that is not a cure.

I have a motion detector on the CCTV which makes looking at recordings
quicker but the problem is it also responds to rain near the camera and
bats.

Doug.

Here is the video of the fox attacking my pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IVxfpT_hNk

Doug