Old 20-04-2003, 06:26 AM
DWS

Default help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help

2 Words -

UV STERALIZER

I had the same thing foor 3 1/2 weeks - even with 3/4 water change twice a
day for 3 days straight.. no help..

Added the steralizer... ran it for 3 days, did a 3/4 water change and im
back to crystal clear water... plants are pearling more since the light can
get to them now..

Dustin

"J. H." wrote in message
Hi everyone.

First the specs of my tank:

Size: 200lt (approx 50gal) 3ft tank
Lighting: 6 x 30w T8 fluros of mixed color (5000k, 6500k, 10 000k)

=
180W
Filter: Eheim Professional 2224
CO2: Dupla system injecting through diffuser into filter
Substrate: 2mm natural gravel with laterite in the bottom 1/4
Fertiliser: Water coloumn none so far, susbtrate Jobes deep under

root
feeders
Fish: None
Plants: Fast growing stem plants

This tank has been setup for 3 weeks now (it has no fish) and was clear

for
about a week and now has a greenwater bloom in for about the past 2 weeks

it
so its definately out of balance. I have it heavily planted with fast
growing stem species and during the day they are bubbling non stop.

A few days ago I added some column fertiliser (pmdd) and some calcium
chloride to buffer the water. These are the measurements I took this
morning:

pH: 6.2
kH: 2.8 or 50ppm
gH: 90ppm
CO2: 53ppm !!!

Ooops I check the bubble counter and it was dosing at about 2 bubbles per
second. I promptly turned it down a lil.

My natural tapwater is:

pH: 7.4
kH: 40ppm
gH: 50ppm

I just need some advice from you guys as what you would suggest to do to

get
rid of the greenwater and in general how I should go about dosing my tank.
I have all the pmdd chemicals as well as flourish and flourish iron.

I look foward to hearing your suggestions and dosing reigemes so I can get

better understanding on what I should be doing to keep the tank in

balance.

Cheers,
Jon