Old 09-12-2011, 01:11 PM posted to aus.gardens
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default punkins

Loosecanon wrote:
"F wrote in message
. com...
Is it possible to plant those orange pumpkins that they use at Halloween
in such a way that they are still in one piece at Halloween in
sydney?Apparently you plant them late spring which means now or last week.
so how long do they take to ripen if you do and will they keep till end of
october?

The butternut pumpkin I have in Perth has been going for 2 months the first
pumpkin will be ready in a month. I figure the vine will collapse a month
after that. But from experience you let the pumpkin dry out for a month or 2
before eating. What happens after 2 months would be the pumpkin would shrink
so trying to keep this for halloween might not work. The vagaries of trying
to follow a northern hemisphere pagan ceremony here! So if I were you I
would plant the pumpkin in Febuary/March and hope the first frost you get is
after harvest time!

So why is it that there is never a male flower and female flower at the same
time on my pumpkin. Thank God for bees hehe.

I just got 6 "jack o' lantern" pumpkin seeds but judging on my success
with trying to germinate some jam melon seeds I probably wont get anywhere.