Old 09-12-2011, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Brazil nuts - Walnuts

In message , CT
writes
Sue wrote:

"CT" wrote
Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several
years now:

http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ommission.html

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have
no bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now.
I bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, either on the ban itself or simply that some
traders are flouting it, if it does exist!.

Did you read it? that linked doesn't say they are/were banned (ignore
the headline)

It just says that Brazils nuts in shells from Brazil need to be tested
for Aflatoxin, and possibly a very stringent level.

Assuming it is still in force, then nuts from other countries aren't
affected, or possibly they have been tested and are fine.
--
Chris French