Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Brazil nuts - Walnuts

On Dec 9, 12:29*pm, "CT" wrote:
Sue wrote:

"CT" wrote
Sales of Brazil nuts in their shells have been banned for several
years now:

http://www.elixirnews.com/news/brazi...ean_commission....

That may have been so in 2004 (or was it one of those yes we'll have
no bent banana stories?) but you can certainly buy whole Brazils now.
I bought loose mixed nuts in their shells, including Brazils, only
yesterday.

I stand to be corrected, either on the ban itself or simply that some
traders are flouting it, if it does exist!.

I know I haven't seen them in the supermarket for a while, and Googling
for "brazil nut shells" just brought up a load of "they're banned"
stories. *Maybe Google has taken the Daily Mail as a sponsor!

--
Chris

It's an area I used to visit.
The reason for the ban was that brazil nut trees would take 60 odd
years to grow and the nuts are collected from wild trees from the
forest floor.
They could have beeen lying there for weeks and there was some fungus
problem that theoretically could have affected humans.
The ban came in a few years ago and thousands of people in Brasil,
Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador lost their work. Another EU thing. Nobody
had ever caught anything in practice.
The nuts are now boiled, this also makes removing the shells easier.