Old 10-12-2011, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At Last, a Frost

On 12/10/2011 02:04 PM, Jake wrote:
Winter finally arrived last night! I don't know how cold it got as the
thermometer's decided to rise to and stick at 28 degrees C, but it was
enough to freeze the top quarter-inch of the bird bath and a very thin
layer on a water feature. Not enough to do anything to the pond
though.

But now quite a bright day and not overly cold.

Just need to write to Santa to ask for a new garden thermometer.

Noticed a couple of small groups of ladybirds hibernating in the
Christmas tree yesterday, clearly undisturbed by the process of
decorating it. Maybe it'll just have to stay there and decorated until
the spring!

First frost here in Basse-Normandie this morning. Amazing it's held off
this long... No ice though! The sub-tropical maples are mostly still
all in full leaf, rare for mid-December. After I finish a cuppa it's
time to do some final repotting and get the tender stuff safe under the
tunnel.

cheers, and good on you getting the tree up. We'll get ours next WE
hopefully.

-E