Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Pampas Grass.

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 20:56:32 -0000, "sheila"
wrote:

Hi, we want to fill a gap, and have decided on a Pampas grass, possible the
pink variety, we don't want to plant it in the ground,but in a large pot. I
want the teams advice as this is possible, what is the minimum pot size for
a good showy plant?--we will of course get a large pot if required!

Thanks,

I'd forget pink - it won't really be pink. In any event, the full-size
varieties will outgrow any pot you can afford within a couple of
years.

Pampas isn't really a pot plant but if you really need to pot grow it,
the only real option is a pumilla - this is as dwarf as pampas gets.
Assuming the plant comes in a 3 or 4 litre pot, you ought to start
with a minimum 30 litre tub but, for added longevity, I'd suggest at
least a 50 litre one. You'll probably get about 6-7 years before it
outgrows that size. Make sure the tub has plenty of drainage holes -
one in the middle will not be enough! The type at
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk...lant_Pots.html
will do the trick - it's up to you how big you go, just remember how
heavy the pot will get. The handled type are easier to move as and
when you need to and can be made attractive by wrapping in something
like bamboo screen type stuff cut down to size.

You will need to place the tub in a sunny spot.

Use a 50-50 mix of multi-purpose or garden compost and John Innes No 3
(I'd usually suggest No. 2 but you're going to need the added weight
to stand a decent chance of the plant not getting blown over). Mix in
some general purpose fertiliser. Make sure that the root ball is
entirely covered and not proud of the pot. Water well until water runs
from the drainage holes.

Don't let the tub dry out - for the first year you should repeat the
heavy watering every 2 weeks. From year 2, you may find you need to do
this weekly. Include a general purpose feed in the water once a month
in the spring and summer.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling (after the first frost) from
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.