Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default punkins

"terryc" wrote in message
F Murtz wrote:

I just got 6 "jack o' lantern" pumpkin seeds but judging on my success
with trying to germinate some jam melon seeds I probably wont get
anywhere.

W ca get tonnes of pumpkins to germinate* and run everyvery rigging where,
but abut 0.00001% ever grow any fruit. No luck with bee germination ad we
never have the different flower at the same time.

*provided we do not plant them, but just let them come up.

.

Chatted with my uncle today. He said planting his pumpkins now. I asked why
and he said experience has shown more flowers with a later planting and more
likelihood of male and female flowers at the same time.

The burpless cucumbers I planeted last year only put on female flowers. I
can't recall seeing a male flower so figured bees must have pollinated the 3
cucumbers I got. Just planted some apple cucumbers myself so will see it the
flower theory works. I seem to remember having only male flowers and later
on female flowers so is all a mystery.