Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labiate ID

In message , kay
writes

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;943682']On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:-
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore
not

Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://tinyurl.com/d54f4fo-

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Showing my ignorance here. Are there any antirrhinum that colour?
Must admit I'd have gone for Cymbalaria, though leaves are wrong for
any
which occur wild in UK.

Cymbalaria was my first thought. I found photos of half the species
(muralis, pallida, aequitriloba, hepaticifolia) and the foliage doesn't
match any of those. More importantly, fide Wikipedia, Cymbalaria has
"flowers borne singly rather than in dense erect spikes".

Where was it?

In a rockery in a botanic garden.

--
kay