Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labiate ID

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On Dec 11, 8:19*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
, Dave
Hill writes

On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes -
therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Sorry - thinko - I meant Lamiales.

OK.

I thought it might actually be a Cymbalaria, but believe you are right
that it isn't one. *The likely suspects
herehttp://luirig.altervista.org/flora/cymbalaria.htmhavethe wrong leaf
form (never mind the flowers!).

--

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

This is haunting me, I feel I should know it.
Fleshy leaf making me think it grows in a fairly dry area.
Hairs to prevent to much water loss by wind.
Low growing, an exposed habitat?

The nearest match I've found is Antirrhinum pertegasii, but that has
blunt or emarginate leaf apices. If I hadn't seen Antirrhinum
sempervirens in the Alpine House there I might have thought that was it.

That assuming that I'm not missing something when identifying it as an
Antirrhinum, but I doesn't seem to fit Cymbalaria, Linaria, Asarina or
Maurandya, and nothing else comes to mind as an alternative.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

The flower is totaly wrong for an Antirrhinum

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus, which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley