Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default good winter reading

On 12/12/11 9:17 AM, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 10, 10:26 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

And I promised my doctor that, if rain prevents me from gardening, I
will go to the gym for exercise.

good luck!

In them meantime, my bridge partner
just gave me a book on the 25 most important bridge bidding conventions.

hehe, helps to know which ones your partner
actually knows and uses. do you play duplicate
bridge?

I play duplicate most Mondays and Fridays. It's a "seniors" program at
a local city's recreation center. At 70, I'm the third youngest player.

My partner and I even invented a convention, the Lozano-Ross Convention.
It's similar to a transfer bid after a no-trump opening, but it's the
response to your partner's take-out double. It serves the same purpose
as a transfer by keeping the stronger hand (the hand that doubled)
concealed while the supposedly weaker partner's hand becomes the dummy.
Unlike a transfer, however, if I bid 1 heart indicating spades is my
best suit, my partner (the doubler) is NOT required to actually bid
spades.

***Awesome. Maybe in my next life I will have enough smarts to play
bridge g

if you know what a Higgs Boson is it's pretty
likely you can learn bridge. takes time and
practice but nothing mystical about it.

songbird

--
David E. Ross