Old 13-12-2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS[_3_] AndyS[_3_] is offline

Default How did your garden grow in 2011?

On Nov 26, 7:55 pm, Ohioguy wrote:
This year I tried cabbage, sweet corn, eggplant, radishes, Brussels
Sprouts and tomatoes.

Cabbage did fantastic, so I may try it again next year. (it was the
first time in my life that I can remember growing cabbage)

I planted three varieties of sweet corn, including a red variety.
Unfortunately, I planted the plants too close together. I had to cut
down about half of the plants to let more light and air penetrate. In
the end, I had about half the harvest I had expected, but it was great
to have fresh sweet corn.

Eggplant did well, but as I remembered, the taste wasn't that great.
Radishes were ok, but hotter than I hoped. Brussels Sprouts grew very
slowly at first, then took off into the fall.

The tomatoes were the greatest disappointment. I grew seeds from a
packet that said it had 20 different heirloom beefsteak varieties.
Instead, I mostly ended up with smallish 1.5" orange tomatoes. Only 1
plant out of 14 had anything that would approach beefsteak. Next year I
may just buy a couple of plants, even though they mostly have the same 8
or so varieties available everywhere.

How about your garden - how did it do?

Andy comments:
North Texas, drought conditions...

I have water I draw from a lake for irrigation..

Tomatoes --- Super crop, still have a fridge full of the sauce
Okra ... Not so good.
Pinto Beans -- Good crop in the spring, not so much in summer
Radishes --- Great in spring and great in fall
Collards -- Great in Winter, Spring, and Fall
Cucumbers -- A few, but lackluster this summer.
Lettuce --- Not so good this year... Good last year...

Oleander --- Cloneable year around, transplanted well in spring
and summer..

Crepe Myrtle --- Same as Oleander.

These are just my results this year... Very hot hot hot summer and
even
the irrigation didn't compensate in the summer heat.

PS... Neighbor's marijuana crop didn't prosper either, tho he doesn't
have
irrigation.... Poor fellow's beer bill went thru the
roof.....

Andy