Old 13-12-2011, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Saving hens before EU directive

In article , Jake
writes
But what I don't understand is that if 300,000 battery hens face
slaughter then, to produce the same number of eggs, another 300,000+
hens will need to be bought. Why cannot battery hens be converted to
free range which, presumably, is what people who adopt them will do?

Are they the same breeds? I mean do they have special breeds that are
more compliant in battery conditions and might be not so good free range
on a commercial level?
I'd love to get some but it's got "no poultry" clause in my house thing.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph